How to Create a Carousel Post on LinkedIn – Linkedin is one of the best social networks to increase your digital skills (also through Linkedin Learning ), expand your network of contacts by creating valuable connections, look for a new job or look for talented collaborators for your company.
This platform offers you the possibility to create a series of winning contents such as Linkedin Pulses (real editorial blogs) or stories (similar to those found on Instagram and Facebook). I’ve also shown you in the past how to build a successful profile to get noticed.
You may not know it, but Linkedin allows you to create an extremely interesting type of content that you should use to the fullest to make your posts go viral. I’m talking about slideshows , ie carousels of images . It is a template similar to the one used in PowerPoint presentations , very useful for highlighting concepts and creating eye-catching infographics.
In today’s article, I’m going to show you how to create a LinkedIn Carousels quickly and easily. All you have to do is create the structure and LinkedIn will take care of the rest. I find them really useful and they can make a post go viral by offering valuable information. Make yourself comfortable, let’s get started!
What are Image Carousels on Linkedin
Linkedin image carousels allow you to post content composed of images with a high visual impact . Through a simple interface, it is possible to enclose various images and infographics within them, in such a way as to offer the user a pleasant and incisive browsing experience and to collect a series of useful information with a single post.
Although LinkedIn has introduced this feature since 2018, it did not find great success with the public during the early days. Lately, however, more and more people are using this type of post: let’s find out why.
They are useful in different situations and can have multiple applications of use. They can be useful for example for:
- List the list of features of a product
- List a list of useful websites or tools
- Create Spotify-style Wrapped or insights
- Show complex infographics
- Create impactful how- tos
These are just some of the possible ways you can use an image slideshow within Linkedin, but the only limit is your imagination.
In the previous image, I show you an example of image slideshow created by SEMRush that I recently came across ( here is the link to the original post ). As you can see, the title is extremely captivating as it invites you to view all the images in the carousel. In fact, with each slide, you could find a useful website that’s right for you and this undoubtedly pushes you to enjoy the content in its entirety.
Since the slides are different and the contents are extremely interesting, the likelihood that you will end up taking an action after viewing the slideshow or simply saving the post in order not to lose the information contained within it is high.
You will therefore understand for yourself that this type of content can have a decisive impact on user decisions and, if used in the right way, can make your post go viral and bring tangible benefits to your business, whatever it is.
How to Create a Carousel Post on LinkedIn
We have seen together what an image carousel is, what it is for and how it can help us expand our network, now we just have to try and implement it. Linkedin offers us the possibility of using different formats: I advise you to use the PDF .
Then create a single file and format it all within a PDF file. Save the file on your PC or, if you prefer, on Dropbox or Google Drive. I advise you to use this format to get the best result. Later we will see the correct size to use and how to optimize the file to make it readable.
So here are the steps to create a slideshow on Linkedin.
- Access your Linkedin profile through the official website or using the app.
- Tap or click the Create Document icon
- Upload the PDF file from your PC or using Google Drive or Dropbox
- Wait for the upload to finish to preview
- Click or tap the Done button
Button to create a carousel of images on Linkedin
That’s all you need to do, your file has been shared with your circle of connections on Linkedin or with anyone within the platform based on your profile privacy settings. Finally, I want you to know that for accessibility reasons, Linkedin users who can see your post will be able to download your document in PDF format . So be careful what you share.
Image carousel on Linkedin: Correct formats and dimensions
Now let’s move on to the purely technical level. I told you that the best way to make your own slideshow is to use a PDF file. PDF files are extremely versatile, easy to share on the web and guarantee you high quality . That’s why using this type of file is the best choice. Lastly, Linkedin is able to process the PDF pages , automatically creating the slides at the end of the upload .
As far as the format is concerned, therefore, there are not many doubts: PDF is the best format for creating a carousel of images on Linkedin.
How do you proceed with the dimensions? Well, the first thing I want to tell you is this. Be careful not to confuse carousel ads (a purely advertising format of Linkedin), with image carousels that you can freely publish in the feed. The two options are not the same and, consequently, require totally different formats. So don’t get confused!
To create a square image carousel, I recommend using the 1080px x 1080px format . If you really don’t know where to start, then the advice I can give you is to use simple graphics tools such as Canva. At this link you will find several templates to easily create a carousel .
Finally, some useful advice on the quantity of images to insert in the carousel. I advise you not to exceed 20 slides in all . Don’t burn all the topics in one post, but try to be concise and give value to what you post. As usual, the golden rule is “publish less, publish better”.
Useful tips for creating a Carousel of valuable images
Now we know how to create and publish an image carousel through Linkedin. Before publishing, however, we should take care of the actual creation of the PDF which we will then share with the community. In fact, there are several mistakes that are made in this phase. Just to name a few:
- Little care in the cover of the carousel
- Massive presence of text within the carousel
- Unclear and/or grainy images
- Content of little value or irrelevant to readers
- Excessive number of slides
- Little contrast in colors
- Absence of text described in the post
- Poor graphics and use of hard-to-read fonts
This regards the purely technical point of view, while the content remains up to you. A content that is of value, in my opinion, must have several characteristics. Here are some tips I can give you to create a carousel of impactful images that can really go viral:
- Create a list of innovative content
- Share experiments and discoveries that you have not yet seen published by others
- A list of tools to help people improve their production processes is always appreciated
- Always cite your sources and don’t appropriate other people’s content
- Make your slides unique and insert a watermark to prevent others from attributing your work
- Pay close attention to the first cover image
- Insert a call to action inside the last slide
Tools for designing a Linkedin image carousel
We just have to look at some useful tools for making your own carousels . In the previous paragraphs I told you about Canva which is certainly a valid option, but there are several. I’m going to list the best options you have available, starting right from Canva:
- Canva : Canva is an online graphic design software that makes it easy for you to create professional-looking images and graphics for your website, social media, presentations, flyers, business cards, and more. It has an intuitive interface and a wide range of pre-designed templates that you can customize to your liking. It also offers a library of paid and free images, icons and fonts to use in your creations. It is really useful for anyone who wants to create eye-catching content without having design experience.
- Photoshop : Photoshop is professional image editing software developed by Adobe. It lets you edit, enhance, and create images for a variety of purposes, such as graphic design, photography, image manipulation, creating special effects, and much more. It has a wide range of advanced tools and features , such as tool selection, layers, masks, filters, and painting tools. Furthermore, it is possible to work on multiple levels, for greater flexibility and control over your projects. It is mainly used by professionals in the field of photography, design and digital art, but also by enthusiasts and users who want to edit images in a professional and precise way.
- Illustrator: Illustrator is a vectorization software developed by Adobe. It lets you create and edit vector images, which are images made up of geometric shapes such as lines, curves, and shapes, instead of pixels. This means you can zoom in or out on your images without losing quality. It is very useful for creating logos, icons, illustrations, vector graphics and typography design. It offers a wide range of tools for creating and editing shapes, such as brushes, styluses, text and tracing tools. Plus, you can work on multiple layers and use effects like transparency, fill effects, and overlays. It is mainly used by professionals in the field of graphics, advertising and illustration,
- GIMP : GIMP is free and open-source image editing software that is similar to Photoshop. It lets you edit, enhance, and create images for a variety of purposes, such as graphic design, photography, image manipulation, creating special effects, and much more. It has a wide range of tools and features, such as tool selection, layers, masks, filters, and painting tools. Furthermore, it is possible to work on multiple levels, for greater flexibility and control over your projects. It is a great alternative for those looking for powerful but free and open-source image editing software, without having to purchase a subscription.
- Sketch : Sketch is graphic design software for Mac that lets you create mockups and designs for user interfaces, such as websites and mobile apps. It has an intuitive interface and a wide range of tools for creating shapes, icons, UI elements and text. In addition, it offers the possibility to work on multiple pages and to create symbols and libraries of shareable elements, for greater efficiency in the work. It is widely used by designers for creating user interfaces and for designing user interfaces for mobile devices and websites.
These are just some of the options available to you. In general, you just need to use web graphics creation software that allows you to export PDFs. If, on the other hand, you have single images available and would like to create a unique PDF, you can use online tools such as the free ones of iLovePDF .
As we have seen, image carousels represent a real revolution in publishing your posts on Linkedin. They allow you to create immersive content , which is highly appreciated by users as it summarizes key concepts extremely quickly and is a useful way to create value.
Bottom line, creating a LinkedIn image slideshow is a great way to spice up your profile and showcase your projects and experiences in a visual way. With the software mentioned in this article, such as Canva, Photoshop, Illustrator and GIMP , you can easily create your content and publish it. Good luck with creating your slideshows