How To Connect Samsung Smart TV To Alexa- If you are one of the people who loves to watch TV for hours, you will no longer need to use the remote control to change the channel or lower the volume . If your Samsung TV is from recent years, you can enable the option to control it through voice commands using the Alexa voice assistant.
In this article we will explain how to connect a Samsung TV, which does not have Alexa integrated into its operating system, to an Amazon Alexa speaker through the SmartThings application. Learn below
How To Connect Samsung Smart TV To Alexa
How To Connect Samsung Smart TV To Amazon Alexa
To connect Alexa to a Samsung TV, the following requirements must be met:
- You must have a router with internet connection via WiFi.
- The Alexa voice assistant must be connected to that network .
- The Samsung TV must also be connected to the same router.
- You must have the Alexa mobile app installed on your smartphone and have set up an account there.
- Likewise, you will need to install the SmartThings app on your mobile, to which you will need to connect your TV and other devices.
Using the SmartThings app, all Samsung smart home devices can be controlled .
What Samsung TVs are compatible with Alexa?
The possibility of connecting Alexa to a Samsung Smart TV will depend on the compatibility between SmartThings and Alexa, a relationship that can be established through the Skills option of the latter.
SmartThings is available on TV models from 2018 onwards. Only models from the year 2020 have Alexa integrated. For other Samsung TV models it will be necessary to use a Fire TV device.
How to set up a Samsung Smart TV with Alexa?
The configuration can be done through your mobile device where you must have both the SmartThings application and the Alexa application .
- After opening the SmartThings app and entering your Samsung account details, the Devices tab should be selected .
- Next, you must press the Show More (+) button to Add a device .
- From the list that is displayed, you must choose the brand of your Samsung Smart TV.
The SmartThings application allows you to synchronize the different Samsung devices in the home, it also makes it possible to use the voice assistant from the TV .
It is recommended to change the name of your television and assign it a simpler one, in this way, Alexa will be able to more easily identify the device when receiving voice commands.
- To access the Alexa application, you must first enter the account validation data.
- Next, the Skills and games option must be selected from the menu .
- When entering there you must search ( magnifying glass icon ) for the SmartThings application.
- When locating it, you must then select it, after which the system will request your permission to use it.
- You will be asked to sign in using a Samsung account for which you will have to provide your access data.
- An SMS will then be sent to you with a validation code , which you must enter to continue with the process.
- When the code is verified, authorization will be requested so that Alexa can enter SmartThings, and in this way the two applications will be linked .
- After the link is effective, you can close this access to your Samsung account and you will be returned to the Alexa application.
By now SmartThings has been associated with Alexa and it’s time to detect and configure your TV. In this way you can control it through the Alexa voice assistant.
- When you return to the Alexa application, you must press the Detect devices button to search for devices already recognized by SmartThings .
- Once the device is identified, you can press the Configure device button to assign it to a group within the home and the TV will be ready to be used.
- If you want to rename the device, this is the right time to do it.
When the setup is complete, the Samsung TV will be able to respond to voice commands.
Most frequent control commands for Samsung TV
After completing the process of connecting Samsung TV to Alexa, it is necessary to verify that the system responds to our instructions. Here are some of the most frequently available commands:
- Alexa, turn off the TV.
- Alexa, turn on TV.
- Alexa, switch to the “XXX” channel.
- Alexa, turn up/down the volume on “Samsung TV name”.
- Alexa, mute “Samsung TV name”.
- Alexa, turn on/off “Samsung TV name”.
- Alexa, watch “movie” on Netflix.
- Alexa, show “genre x” movies.
- Alexa, pause playback.
- Alexa, resume playing.
- Alexa, play/pause on “Samsung TV name”.
- Alexa, switch the input to “HDMI x” in “Samsung TV name”.
How to pair my FIRE TV with Alexa?
If you have wondered how to connect Alexa to an old Samsung TV, here is the answer. Using an Amazon Fire TV Stick you can convert any television (with HDMI) into a Smart TV. In addition to being able to synchronize it with our mobile, the most recent versions are compatible with Alexa.
In order to use this device, you will first need to add it to the Alexa application on your mobile:
- After opening and entering the Alexa application on your mobile, you must select the Devices option located at the bottom.
- There you must click on the “ +” (Plus) symbol that is displayed at the top to search for a new device or you can click on TV and video to make it appear.
- Next, you must choose Fire TV and then select Link your Alexa device . Startup information will need to be provided to complete the process.
Through the Fire TV Stick you can control your television without the need for a remote control. Alexa will receive your voice commands and the Fire TV will allow your Samsung TV to execute the request.