How to Increase Internet Speed in Windows 10 – 10 Ways the internet is a technology that is very much needed in this digital age. Without an internet network, the information and news that we know will be very limited. Because now public media has spread on the internet.
We can do anything using the internet network, for example, such as interacting with people who are far away, studying, working and watching news around the world. So that the need for the internet today is very necessary for our daily activities.
What’s more, during the Covid-19 pandemic as it is today, we are encouraged to study, work and do all activities at home. Well, this is where the role of the internet is very useful for us. Therefore, we must optimize the internet connection on our computers and smartphones. Because without it, we cannot carry out activities optimally.
10 Ways to Increase Internet Speed in Windows 10
Have you ever felt that the Wifi connection speed on your Windows 10 feels slow? If so, then this is due to the large amount of Bandwidth usage.
Not only that, the internet connection on Windows 10 can slow down due to the Windows Auto-Tuning feature . This feature has a function to improve performance in programs that receive a number of TCP data using the internet network. The following are several ways to speed up Wifi connection in Windows 10.
1. Closing Programs that Consume a Lot of Bandwidth
How often do you download, upload or sync files in Windows 10? If you do this repeatedly, then it can cause a lot of bandwidth usage.
Therefore, in order to increase download and upload speeds, we must close or disable programs or applications when you download or upload something. Here’s how to close programs that eat up a lot of bandwidth.
1. Click the Windows menu in the lower left corner, then click the settings menu icon . Then Windows Settings will appear, in that window click the Network & Internet menu .
2. After that, click the Data Usage menu . Then look on the right side, in the Overview section , click the View usage details button .
3. Now, you can see which applications use the most internet connection and use up the most internet quota. Choose an application that uses a lot of internet quota and disable the application.
2. Turn off Metered Connection
The metered connection feature functions to set limits on data usage using an internet connection. If your internet connection activates the metered connection feature, then you must turn off or deactivate this feature so that you can get speeds in downloading or uploading files very quickly. Here’s how to turn off the metered connection feature.
1. Enter the Windows Settings menu, by clicking the Windows menu . After that, click the settings icon . After the windows settings are displayed, then select the Network & Internet menu .
2. Then click the Status menu . Look on the right side, in the Network Status section, click the Change Connection Properties button .
3. In the Set as metered connection section, slide the toggle to Off .
3. Changing the Bandwidth Limit
Windows 10 already uses bandwidth to be able to download updates on the Windows operating system and its applications. If you have used the internet usage as much as the specified bandwidth limit, your internet speed will automatically be slowed down by Windows 10. But don’t worry, because you can change the bandwidth limit.
Generally on Windows 8 and above, the default bandwidth allocation on a computer is 20% for Windows updates and 80% for internet needs. Well, we can change the bandwidth settings using the method below.
1. Click Windows key + R to bring up the Run menu, then type the command gpedit.msc . After that click OK .
2. After that, click the Administrative Templates menu found on the computer configuration menu. Look on the right side, then select the Network menu .
3. In the Network menu, click Qos Packet Scheduler .
4. Then click Limit reserved bandwidth
5. Then click Enable . And in the bandwidth limit section, change the value to 0 . After that click Apply and OK .
6. If so, restart your laptop.
4. Disabling Apps Behind the Scenes
Without you knowing it, many applications are running in the background or behind the scenes when you activate the internet connection. Thus, your internet speed can be very slow. So that the download and upload process on your computer can run smoothly.
You can disable background applications on your computer. And here’s how to disable applications running in the background.
1. To disable applications that are in the background, enter the Windows Settings menu. The trick is to click the Windows menu then click the settings icon . When the settings window appears, then select the Privacy menu .
2. After that, click the Background Apps menu. Look on the right side of the Background Apps section , slide the toggle Let apps run in the background to the OFF position .
5. Delete Temporary Files
Computers that have a lot of temporary files will usually work slower. And it turns out that it can slow down our internet connection. To overcome this, you can delete these temporary files in order to increase your internet speed. The following is a step by step in deleting temporary files.
1. The first step that must be taken is to display the Run feature. The trick is to click the Windows key + R on the keyboard key. Then the Run window will appear as shown below, type the %temp% command in the box next to the word Open. Then click OK .
2. Then a file explorer will appear showing all temporary files. Select all files by clicking CTRL + A on your computer keyboard. Then right-click, and select the Delete menu .
3. Then look for the Recycle bin shortcut on the desktop, then right-click. And select the Empty Recycle Bin menu .
6. Using Another Web Browser
If the web browser that you usually use cannot download files quickly, then you can use another web browser to download your files quickly.
There are several web browsers whose use is not optimal in using Internet speed. Therefore, if you use Google Chrome, then you can use the Firefox web browser to increase the download speed of the file you are doing.
7. Renew Your Internet Package
Internet package is one of the most important things in using internet technology today. Because without it, we cannot access the internet freely. Well, each internet package also has its own speed limit.
You can choose the type of internet package that has the maximum speed for your file download and upload needs. If you have upgraded your internet package, the next step is to restart your router and then you can enjoy internet services at optimal speed.
8. Remove Viruses and Malware
One thing that you must pay attention to in order to maintain computer health is to remove or scan for viruses or malware that attacks your computer machine.
These viruses and malware can hamper your internet speed. Use an antivirus application that you trust and is able to properly remove and prevent various viruses and malware on your computer.
9. Use the Download Manager Application
If you want to download large files on the internet, then you also need high internet speed. One way to be able to download files quickly, you need a download manager application.
This application can help you streamline your file download process very quickly when compared to downloading files using the default tools provided by a web browser.
10. Check Your Internet Speed
If your internet connection is slow, then what you should know about is a problem that is hindering your internet speed. For example, by checking the speed of the internet on your Wifi. If your internet connection is hampered, but you don’t find a problem with the router, then one of the factors that is a problem is the internet service provider.
Those are the 10 ways to speed up the wifi connection on Windows 10. Hopefully this article can be useful for you.